Matthew 22: 37 – 39 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”
What a difference a warm smile makes.Something as simple as a friendly wave or extending a helping hand can change a person’s outlook on life. Our neighbors are longing for our words of kindness and answers to their life’s struggles. As Christians, we have the answer.
“Love Your Neighbor” is simply about loving on and ministering to those who live around you.The goal of “Love Your Neighbor” is that by modeling Christ’s love, we might win some of our neighbors to Christ.
What’s the plan? We took our Lindsay Lane membership and plotted them on a map using “Mapping Center for Evangelism.” Each dot on the map represents a member of our church.
We have a lot of dots on the map and therefore a lot of members. We stretch from Cullman well into Tennessee, from Huntsville to Florence.We have a lot of dots. Also, the larger the neighborhood, the more dots (members) we have within that neighborhood.So, our plan is simple. We would like to get as many of our members to take God’s Word seriously and “Love our Neighbors.” If we do… we can reach a big part of North Alabama. In the book, Henry Blackaby said; “Find out where God is working and join Him.” God has planted you in your neighborhood and wants to use you to “Love Your Neighbor.”
How “Love Your Neighbor” works
- If you are willing to help we will give you a list of the Lindsay Lane members within your neighborhood.
- We will also give you a list of “everyone else” within your neighborhood. (all your neighbors)
- First – set up a meeting with your “Lindsay Lane neighborhood members” and decide how your group will accomplish the goal of “Loving Your Neighborhood.” You can divide up your neighborhood by streets, each take a certain number of houses, or all work together. Also choose who would like to lead your group.
- After you are organized, start by praying for your neighborhood. Walk, drive or jog through the streets within your neighborhood – praying as you go.
- Next have some type of ice breaker in your neighborhood. You and your team can drop a “Love Your Neighbor” card (with a special message written on the back) by homes, hand out some type of goodie bag, Christmas card, Valentine’s card, or have a block party. Anything to introduce yourself and your group to the neighbors. The idea is to get to know your neighbors.
- Next notice when your neighbors are outside. Wave to them, talk to them, ask if you can pray with them. Start being a good neighbor.
- Smile, it’s the key that fit’s the lock of everyone’s heart.
- Anthony J. D’Angelo
- As you begin to learn names, look for ways that your team can minister to your neighbors: help them cut up a limb, help them carry something, pull their trash cans from the road back to the house, tell them you will watch their house while they are on vacation, check on your neighbors after a storm, ask them if you can pray for them. Every neighborhood is different, so look for ways to minister to your neighbors.
- By being friendly and by ministering to your neighbors you will develop relationships which will eventually give you a chance to invite them to church or if you feel comfortable, share the gospel with them. Remember it’s more about relationships than about church membership.
- This will be a long-term investment within your neighborhood. You may start with just a few houses at first and then gradually expand.
“Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours.
Yours are the eyes through which he looks compassion on this world.
Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good.
Yours are the hands through which he blesses all the world.
Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, yours are the eyes, you are his body.
Christ has no body now on earth but yours.”
~ Teresa of Ávila
If you would like to participate in “Love Your Neighbor” please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com and we will get you a list of possible teammates and a list of your neighbors.